In 1862, Queen Victoria purchased Sandringham House for her son, Albert Edward, the Prince of Wales (seen here with Alexandra, the Princess of Wales), for £220,000. Two years later, John Harley launched the Sandringham from Beaubears Island to mark the occasion. It would be in service for more than twenty years and was constructed of hacmatac, or juniper. It was given high marks by the Lloyd’s of London agent,for model, workmanship, and finish. ... See MoreSee Less
In 1974, Nelson’s Junior Men’s team represented New Brunswick at the first Junior Men’s National Championship Tournament in Ottawa. Building off of this success, in 1975 the Nelson Kings won the NB Bantam Boys Provincial Championships in Minto. In November of that year, the National Championships were awarded in Nelson, to be played the following August of 1976. The community rallied around to prepare for the event, and make the necessary renovations to the Gerald King Memorial Ball Field, including lights, grandstands and press box facilities. The next summer Nelson hosted teams from across the nation, and registrations ballooned in subsequent years. ... See MoreSee Less
In a letter written to Gilmour, Rankin & Co. in 1856, George Burchill did indeed refer to shipbuilding on Beaubears Island as "a harassing business." He would sell his interest to John Harley and move to Nelson the following year.